Have you been job hunting recently? Have you taken the time to update your resume and compose a stellar cover letter? I’m guessing just thinking about it is making you cringe right now!
There is a lot of different advice about how to make your resume and cover letter stand out.
My basic rules for cover letters:
- make sure you address it to a person, either your future boss or the human resources director
- make sure to let your enthusiasm and personality come through
- state which job you are applying for, why you want it, why you like the company, and how you fit the role
As for resumes:
- proof read and edit like a crazy person
- make sure it looks clear and neat, and try not to cram in tiny text
- do highlight accomplishments
- do include a professional summary of skills at the top so the hiring manager doesn’t have to go hunting for basic information
That’s what I usually go with, but I also just read two really interesting articles, which I’ve linked below. The author gives advice for outreach in the first article as a resume follow up, and links to a second article about an alternative way to write that cover letter!
Don’t forget to talk to friends and family about what you’re looking for, they may have a connection or resource that could help!